Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I never get tired of . . . 70s modern design- Alexander Girard



These are all available from Urban Outfitters at great prices!
1st row: love pillow, bouquet wall art
2nd row: paper dolls wall art, moon pillow

I just received an email from Urban Outfitters (love that store!) about their new collection of home products designed by the late Alexander Girard- I love seeing great design that easily attainable to everyone. I have always loved his work and this just reminded me of how much I love it so I thought I'd write about it. I love the colors, the whimsy, the boldness. I also love how the images connect with each other so organically. His designs looks retro and new at the same time. Girard was born in NYC in 1907 to an American mother and French-Italian father. He was raised in Florence, Italy (not bad, huh?). He graduated from the Royal School of Architecture in Rome. He is most well-known for his textile designs and his work with Herman Miller. He also created fabric designs for George Nelson and Charles and Ray Eames. He and his wife, Susan Girard collected a wide array of folk art, toys and textiles from all over and can be viewed in Santa Fe, New Mexico at the Museum of International Folk Art. He is probably most well-known for his sun images which can be seen all over including La Fonda del Sol 1961 restaurant in NY and FLOR rug tiles.

All these pieces are manufactured by House Industries (a great company that also sells modern design products and terrific fonts). Some of these are no longer available but I absolutely love them all! Check them out.
1st row (l to r): memory game, animal puzzle
2nd row: nativity scene, block puzzle

No comments:

Post a Comment